Important Notice

alert iconHCC's main campus summer hours: Thursday, 5/26 – 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; Friday – Monday, 5/27 - 5/30, college is closed; Tuesday – Friday, 5/31 – 6/3, college is open 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. College is closed Memorial Day (May 30th). Questions and assistance available 24/7 via KCTCS's Call Center at 1-855-464-2244.
Learn More
Transfer Banner

Preparing for Transfer

Transferring to a four-year school can seem like a mysterious process, but it’s really quite simple. It actually mirrors the process you went through when you applied to Henderson Community College.

How do I research schools?

When researching schools, you may find the college's catalog helpful. A college or university catalog lists every degree program that the institution offers along with all courses required and any admission requirements. The catalogs for most four-year colleges and universities are accessible on their websites. Even if you use a transfer guide, you must also use a catalog, or you might miss important information.

For a list of catalogs at all colleges nationwide, please see

How do I go about choosing a school?

Take a day to go and visit the school(s) you are interested in. You will get the most service and best experience if you call ahead to the admissions office a couple of weeks in advance to set up your day on campus.

• Take a copy of your transcripts and anything else you think may be helpful
• Ask for a campus tour
• Ask for parking directions and a visitor’s parking pass
• Ask to visit with an admissions counselor
• Ask to speak with a financial aid counselor (don’t forget to ask about scholarship opportunities!)
• Ask to speak with an advisor in your area of interest (make sure you get all program specific info you need)
• Ask to attend a class in your major
• Ask to view the dorms that you might be assigned to
• If it’s on a weekend, ask if they can provide you with tickets to a ballgame
• Ask about discount rates for local hotels if you have to spend the night

What does it takes to transfer?

2.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average

Most institutions require a minimum 2.0 GPA. Many academic programs have additional GPA requirements. You will be required to send an HCC transcript that verifies your coursework and GPA.

A Completed Application

Students applying for admission are required to complete an application. The Transfer Center has applications for most Kentucky public and private institutions. We assist students with completing these applications. We also review scholarship essays.

An Application Fee

Many institutions require a small application fee (usually under $50).